Ryan is in his sixth year coaching at ZAP Fitness and has worked with athletes of all levels, including the elite athletes at ZAP. Ryan is a USATF Level 1 certified coach and serves as the Assistant Coach for the ZAP Elite athletes as well as the facility manager for the retreat lodge and Adult Running Vacations ZAP puts on throughout the summer. In his time on the coaching staff ZAP has had 14 Athletes Qualify for US Olympic Trials, 3 World Championship Appearances on Team USA, 8 Club Record Performances, the 2010 and 2014 National Club Cross Country Team Championship, and over 2 dozen Top Ten Finishes at USATF Track and Road Championships. Ryan has taken his knowledge from years of competing at a high level as well as working with some of the best athletes in the nation and applied it to personally coaching athletes all across the country and the world.
Ryan is the head coach for ZAP Fitness Coaching and has worked with dozens of athletes ranging from beginners to experienced age group competitors, high school athletes to grand masters athletes, and beyond. He has coached several athletes to Boston Marathon Qualifying times, multiple athletes to top 10 national age group finishes, guided a number of people to their first marathon and half marathon finishes, and many people through to personal bests at distances from the mile to the marathon.
Ryan is a native of Franklin, Indiana where he was a 2002 graduate of Franklin Community High School. After graduation he attended Arizona State where he ran cross country and track and field. Ryan graduated from ASU in 2006 with a B.A. in Political Science. Upon graduation Ryan moved to Blowing Rock, North Carolina to continue his running career at ZAP Fitness. Ryan was a resident athlete at ZAP for nearly four years before joining the coaching staff in the spring of 2010. In the spring of 2013 Ryan received his Master’s Degree in Business Administration from Appalachian State University after working on it part time since the fall of 2010. Ryan has a younger sister who works as a nurse in New York City and his parents reside in his hometown of Franklin, IN. It has been suggested that Ryan has an inordinate support of all things Indiana, including the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Colts, and county fairs.
- All-American, 3000m Steeplechase NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships, 2005 & 2006
- 2007 USATF Club Cross Country National Champion
- 7th Place 2009 USATF Outdoor Track and Field Championships, 3000m Steeplechase
- 4 Time USATF Outdoor Track and Field Championship Qualifier, 3000m Steeplechase
1500m – 3:42
3000m Steeplechase – 8:39
5000m – 13:43
8k (road) – 22:54
10k Cross County – 30:29
"I've worked with Ryan and ZAP for the past two years. My original goal was to qualify for Boston - accomplished and more (beat my PR by 20 min and the standard by 15) through Ryan's coaching. Now my goal is to run healthy, for a LONG time, qualify for Boston every year, and have fun (plus I want to run faster than the other women in my age group... and those younger chicks:)"
Peyton Hoyal was a 2009 NAIA Track & Field All-American in the Marathon event, and continues to compete in long distance races today. He has a diverse background in coaching, ranging from high school cross country to working with Masters athletes, and prides himself in providing clients with individualized, science-supported training plans to help them achieve their running goals. His chief training philosophy is derivied in part from Arthur Lydiard and doctors Renato Canova, Peter Thompson, and Joe Vigil.
He works to apply the concepts these sources have developed to runners of all abilities and lifestyles. A native of Thomaston, GA and graduate of Berry College, Peyton resides in Blowing Rock, NC, and works as a sales and marketing consultant in the athletic footwear industry.
- Coach of Foot Locker National Cross Country Championship Qualifier and Pan-American Junior - - Cross Country Contender, Kathleen Mansure
- Coach of USATF National Masters 5000m Outdoor and 3000m Indoor Champion, Frankie Adkins
- Coach of Numerous Boston Marathon Qualifiers
- Coach of Numerous USATF North Carolina Championship Contenders, from 5,000m-Marathon
- Author of 'The Beginner and Intermediate Guide to Marathon Training,' and 'Run Lean: Nutrtion Secrets to Unlocking Your Potential' (available on RunningShoesGuru.com)
- 2013 Endurance Magazine Contributing Speaker (Duke University) on "Injury Prevention and Training Optimization for the Working Runner"
- 2014 RRCA North Carolina 10K Champion
- 2013 USATF North Carolina Half-Marathon Champion
- 2nd Place 2012 USATF North Carolina Marathon
- 3rd Place 2013 USATF North Carolina 5K
8K - 24:56
10K (road) - 31:27
Half Marathon- 1:08.13